Even though August is the last month of the summer, it is a perfect time for backyard projects, yard sales and prepping before school starts. It can also be a great time to prepare before selling or buying a new home.
Something we talk about with clients is that it’s easy to underestimate the amount of time it takes to go through your belongings before moving. Some people set aside an entire weekend to purge the house, box up everything, and get it “For Sale” ready.
Here are some of my tips for packing up your home:
- Don’t Pack Junk – If you think you might donate it after you move in, then why are you taking it with you? Set aside old things or donations and drop them off at your local Goodwill or Thrift Shop. Or, have a yard sale and see what you can sell
- Set a Timer – Set aside 30 minutes per day to clean and pack instead of leaving it to a whole weekend
- Have the Right Supplies – If you have ever moved by throwing everything in trash bags or odd shaped boxes, then you know how inefficient and frustrating it can be. Purchase some plastic tubs or swing by Home Depot for moving boxes
- Stay Organized – Label all the boxes and take pictures of what is in each box. Once you have moved in, you will know what to unpack first
- Get Some Help – If you do not have the time to pack up your own home, then spend the money and hire a professional moving company. They can be pricey, but if skipping the hassle is worth it, then go for it!
What are your best tips for moving?
One final tip is to order take-out or pizza the first day you move in!
If you are interested in buying or selling soon, then find out how much your home is worth by contacting us today!