How did the election affect the pace of homes listing and selling in our office last week? Our brokerage still listed homes, opened escrows, and met with clients to discuss their real estate needs. The real estate industry keeps chugging along this year in spite of state lockdowns, crazy weather, fires, and politics.
Homes Selling Quickly in Fall 2020
How fast were homes selling this October 2020?
Looking at the Median Number of Days to Sell by County puts a number on that anecdote that “homes are flying off the market”.
San Bernardino County: 9 Days
Less than a week and a half for homes to sell shows how high home buyer demand has been this fall. Mortgage interest rates at record lows and increased savings accounts have made homeownership a real option for millennials this year.
With temperatures dropping this week to the 50s and snow covering our local mountains, this week is ushering in our Southern California fall.
Here are 14 tips for taking care of your house this fall:
1. Check your roof for any leaks
2. Adjust your automatic sprinklers and irrigation systems to account for increased rainfall, changes in time and weather
3. Clean up leaves and debris from high winds
4. Decorate for fall and the holiday season
5. Organize summer gear like beach equipment, camp chairs, BBQs, and camping gear
6. Go through summer clothes and donate unwanted items to a local thrift store of Goodwill so that you are not storing clothes that you won’t wear next year
7. Clean your rain gutters
8. Hire a professional heating company to inspect your furnace
9. Check doors and windows for drafts and repair any older insulation
10. Bring out your blankets and change the sheets and comforters on beds from light summer sheets to warmer winter ones (we are excited about our flannel sheets!)
11. Make sure everyone in your household has an umbrella, rain boots, and appropriate fall and winter clothes so that you are not running out on a rainy day to buy an umbrella
12. Switch out your welcome doormats to heavy duty or waterproof mats so that mud is not tracked into the house
13. Inspect your chimney and close the flue if you are not using it
14. Put away any outdoor furniture that will not be used and make sure patio furniture is weather-proof or under the roof for rains and/or snow
Feel free to call or email with any real estate questions or if you need recommendations for local vendors and services.